Installing your own dash camera may be daunting, but that’s why we’re here. We strive to make DIY’ing your installation as easy as possible— Providing all the tools and information needed.
Garmin 66W/56/46/Mini/Tandem Installation
Garmin Installation Notes
Before we proceed— Hardwiring to your vehicle is safe. We always hardwire to your vehicle’s fuse box. There’s a fuse box in your vehicle for a reason— To prevent any electrical hiccups and catch them before any damage occurs. This is the safest and ONLY place to wire your dash camera.
Hardwire Kits Explained
3-Wire hardwiring kits are the most popular now. The Garmin line of cameras all run a 3-wire system, which allows for automatic switching of their parking mode function.
This consists of 3 cables: Ground, ACC (Switched power, used as a signal cable to dictate parking mode vs driving mode), and BATTERY (Constant, always on power, keeping your camera powered).
Garmin’s parking mode cable does 2 important jobs. First, it steps down your 12V car electrical system into a 5V system, and secondly, provides a safety voltage cutoff to ensure your car battery isn’t run down too far.
Tools Included - DASHOTO INSTALLATION TOOL KIT:
• Voltage Checker/Circuit Tester
• x8 Add-a-fuse + x2 ATO, x2 LP Mini, x2 Micro2, x2 Mini fuses
• Prying Tool Set
• Cleaning Cloth
• Alcohol Cleaning Pad
• Surveillance Warning Stickers
You’ll also need a wrench or socket set for the grounding of the kit.
Garmin Installation Beforehand
- Plug in cigarette jack and turn on vehicle (“on” is sufficient, no need to crank the motor)
- Check that your dash camera works with the included cigarette adapter
- After ensuring camera is functioning perfectly, turn off vehicle
Checking Fuses with your Garmin Installation
- Ground circuit tester to an unpainted bolt on the vehicle
- Ground hardwire kit spade connector. Use your wrench/socket wrench to loosen an unpainted bolt directly mounted on the chassis. Slide the spade connector under this bolt and re-tighten.
- Check fuses with vehicle OFF— Refer to manual for a “safe” fuse to use. These include non-essential items such as seat reclining, seat heaters, window motors.
- When a suitable fuse is found as per the manual, check the fuse to check that the fuse is powered even when the vehicle is OFF.
- Attach CONSTANT line.
- Check fuses with vehicle OFF— Again, refer to the manual for a safe fuse. Typically, we find most cigarette adapter fuses are the best fuses to use for this scenario.
- Use your circuit tester and check that it does NOT light up with the car OFF.
- Once confirmed, turn car ON and check the same fuse.
- Ensure this fuse only turns on with the vehicle.
- Attach ACC line.
Finishing your Garmin Installation
- Plug parking mode cable into unit— Allow 30 seconds to fully boot up and start recording
- Turn vehicle off, and wait. Camera should not entirely turn off, and should enter parking mode automatically.
- Hide remaining cables and use included zipties to bundle cabling.
Once you’ve confirmed that the camera switches into parking mode, you’re basically done with your Garmin 66W/56/46/Mini/Tandem Installation!
Looking for more tips and tricks for your Garmin Installation? Take a look at our dashcam blog today!